Hours: 9:00 - 5:00
Monday - Friday
Welcome to the Henderson County Register of Deeds website.
We are proud to serve the citizens of Henderson County as custodians of some of the county’s most historic documents.
Please note that we are a recording office and not legal authorities and therefore cannot advise in any legal capacity. Our primary purpose is to record transactions for public record that are executed in accordance with North Carolina Real Estate Recording Standards. Checks, cash and money orders are accepted forms of payment.
The Register of Deeds office maintains:
- All land transfers, easements, rights of ways, surveys.
- Security instruments such as, but not limited to, Deeds of Trust, Mortgages and UCC filings.
- Separation Agreements
- Vital Records such as Births, Deaths and Marriage certificates. Certified copies of vital records may be obtained for a fee of $10.00 with proper ID and acceptable relationship to person being applied for. Photo copies are available for $.25.
- Businesses filed under an assumed name, also known as DBA’s.
- Military records are recorded and certified for the Veteran at no charge.
- Notary Public oaths
- Marriage Licenses are issued from 9:00 to 4:30 Monday through Friday, holidays excluded.
- Both applicants need to come in together. They will need a current, valid photo ID and a Social Security Card that is NOT laminated. If the Social Security card is not available, a tax return or a legal document with the applicant’s name and number on it will be accepted.
- In an instance where an applicant is not eligible for a Social Security number, an Affidavit attesting to this fact will be provided at the Register of Deeds office.
- If either applicant has been married before, the month and year of when the previous marriage ended is required information on the license. Applicants that are divorced within 30 days prior to application of marriage license must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree.
- The license is valid for 60 days anywhere in the state of North Carolina and there is no waiting period.
- The fee is $60 and is payable by check or cash.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants that are 14 or 15 years of age must obtain a court order authorizing the marriage.
- Applicants that are 16 or 17 years of age must provide certified copies of their birth certificate and be joined by the parent or parents, institution, agency or person who has legal custody with documented proof of that guardianship.
- Sometimes it is impossible for both applicants to come in at the same time. In this instance, there is an Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance that can be obtained in our office, filled out, notarized and brought in by the second applicant.
We hope you have found this information helpful. For additional questions, you may call 697-4901.